Saturday, October 4, 2008

Razor blades and microchips

We've been mixing for the past two weeks I think. I'm not really sure now. Could be more. I'm so tired I have no clue. I started having a breakdown if sorts the other day, with chills, racing heartbeat and a mind completely overwhelmed. I go join up with greg's mixing session every night when I get home from work, stay late and get up in the early morning. But still, i'd rather not be in greg's shoes, his ears are fried, I caught him the other night turning off the cymbals in the mix because he just couldn't deal with that frequency anymore, and neded me to call him on it. At least I can do my job tired. He can't.

So last night I got to see another benefit of recording in the computer as opposed to directly to 2" tape. Grg felt a new arrangement for "Tomorrow" was necessary. On tape that would have meant lots of razorblade cutting of the physical tape. But here, we can just crop and cut things, move them around, etc. (while some recordists swear by tape, having just read "Mixerman", an online journal turned book by an LA engineer in the vein of Spinal Tap, I can see how painful that process can be). we've not made use of all the programs lots of bands do that basicly airbrush the recording to a stilted perfection, so Greg had to work a little harder, but in the end, well worth it.

Last night was my one night to go to bed at a decent hour and sleep in. Reality: mixing until just before 3, went home, turned off my phone (that NEVER happens) & straight to bed, woke up cold, then woke up twice from my cats trying to get in my bedroom,..by the time the kid selling magazines for junior achievment hit the doorbell, followed by some shady guy trying to sell surplus meat from the back of his truck for cheap (yeah, you read that right), I'd given up sleeping and had to get ready for practice with Nat. we have a show thursday, just the two of us, and we haven't done a damn thing about it.

Well, at least i'm going to see death cab tonight, so something to look forward to. And check out Letterfall (www.myspace.com/letterfall) who I'll be going to see after the DCFC show. Mike's a friend from years back (Barefoot Mike, anyone?) who's got a new band.

On with the day...

No comments: