Monday, July 14, 2008

Hope springs eternal

So, after all these years of making records and what not, this is finally the moment that I've waited for. The feeling that we're going to start a new record tomorrow and things will never be the same again.

Maybe I've felt that every time, but I swear this time is different. Its like Christmas Eve as a kid - tomorrow morning's going to bring the best one yet. I guess without eternal optimism life goes nowhere fast, at least for me.

So I've decided to start this blog as a way of keeping track of what we'll be doing, what we've done. A gritty detailed account of a not-so-gritty band. We're not hiding heroin habits. We don't date supermodels. We've never tried to punch out each other. Hell, we've each been known to enjoy a quiet night at home from time to time. Anyway, if you're reading this, you should probably stop, since I tend to type as I think (or talk) and get really long winded.

Some history...

This record, which has no name other than "2008 album" as of right now, was very well not going to happen. As documented elsewhere, we ended 2007 pretty low in the water. Mike left, we had no replacement guitarist, and we had hit a creative wall in some ways. Some possible paths to go, but rather than force the issue we cancelled the last couple of shows in December (Pete broke his hand and I lost my voice) and just took a vacation for a month or so. For my part, I locked myself in the studio for a few days to jot down on tape some ideas that I'd never fleshed out, as well as to try my hand at new songs (hard time writing in the past year) and experiment with some covers. 18 songs later I called it The January Tapes and when we reconvened, we had something to start with that the guys could sift through and decide if there was anything worthwhile to take further. We also met a guy named Nat Webb at this time, and THANK HOLY HEAVEN that he came around with his guitar when he did. Amazing player, amazing person, and he liked our songs. Suddenly, taking on the juggernaut of life in a band became desireable again. We did two gigs with him - one mostly forgettable, which brought up the "oh boy here we go again, why do i put myself and others through this", and the other was one of the top 3 or 4 shows i've ever played in my life. Yes, this thing is possible and worth it!

Like a lot of things in life, suffering & pain is necessary to get to the good stuff. And that is why Matt is now sitting on my couch watching Blue Harvest at 9:30 on a Sunday night. Tomorrow morning we will be setting up at Firehouse 12 in New Haven, where we will spend a few days tracking for our new record! We just did a last ditch cramming session today for a few hours, and we leave tomorrow morning. Woohoo!

No comments: